Old January 3rd 20, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Predictions

On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 11:23:05 PM UTC, wrote:
On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 11:46:35 PM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 7:08:34 PM UTC, Tosspot wrote:
On 02/01/2020 16.46, Frank Krygowski wrote:
"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future."Â* - Yogi
Berra

But that doesn't stop Jan Heine from trying. Here's his effort for
January 2, 2020:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/blog/

The only things I reckon he has right are wide tyres and e-bikes, and
around my way he's two years behind the times on both, so it wasn't hard.

Round my way Heine is ten years behind the times. And that's for 60mm tyres. If you define "wide tyres" as 37mm and up, as someone just did on another forum I read, Heine is 30 years, a whole generation, behind my times.

Use the tire width suited for your riding style and road conditions you ride on. It has always been like that. Never used tires less than 2 and 2.5 inch wide on my ATB's. Never used tires less than 32 mm wide on my commuter.. The difference might be that at the moment you can good quality wider tires. Don't understand the whole fuss about tire width.

Lou

"Don't understand the whole fuss about tire width." This surprises me. It isn't the width by itself, it is the width and the associated possibility of lowering the pressure that comes with width, seriously increasing the rider's comfort. There are additional benefits of greater tyre width and lower pressure, for instance decreased rolling resistance. One interrelated result that interests me particularly --because in automobiles my primary interest was in suspensions -- is the noticeably better roadholding and handling characteristics of the wider and less highly pressurised tyres as compared to those which are narrower and more highly inflated.

Andre Jute
I'll try anything once