Old July 12th 18, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default drill/tap in frames

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 15:46:28 -0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

(Big Smile) I know a bike builder who accidentally did just that, with
out the rivnut being installed - bending the curve into the front fork
blades with a 5 foot bar :-)

I think that's called a "torque amplifier".

But as an aside, anything will break given sufficient force applied
which doesn't prove much of anything.

Ah, but if there's a significant difference in tension (force) between
the tube with and without a Rivnut, then methinks it demonstrates that
Rivnuts weaken the frame. I think the real trick will be to find two
tubing pieces that are really identical. I'll check with the local
"Bike Church" to see if they have any old frames laying around. I
have a few frames, but I didn't want to trash them quite yet.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D