Old February 13th 19, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default Staying Warm according to New York Times

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 07:32:55 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Staying warm, according to the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/11/s...e-commute.html

And who can resist clicking on "(And if you’re new to commuting by
bike, here are all the basics you’ll need.)"?

I never knew that I have to keep my stuff in a front basket so that I
can see when something bounces out! Silly me, I've been bungeeing it
down, or putting it into a plastic bag and tying the handles to the
pannier. I can fall off the bike, and nothing falls out.

A few months ago, I slipped while trying to dismount before walking
across a slick stretch, and no harm was done to the pannier of glass
that I was taking to Goodwill. (One subsequent trips, I dismounted
much sooner.)

A few years ago, after hitting an inconspicuous trench across the
Chinworth Bridge Trail, I did have to go back to pick up a water
bottle I'd tossed into a pannier.

Surprisingly, clicking various links on that site turned up
mostly-sensible advice.

And not one item like the "advice" I once read from some "expert" that
one should never, never ride on a street that isn't lined with parked
cars.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net