Old February 15th 19, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Type of Riding You Do

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 7:56:52 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 7:15:11 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 1:49:36 PM UTC-8, wrote:
More and more from the comments from the group I get the feeling that Joerg, Jay and only possibly another or two ride for performance. That isn't racing but riding fast and doing things like going down hills and dropping car traffic in the turns. Going down the south side of Palomares I've even dropped the motorcycle play racers. Most of these guys haven't a clue of how to corner. Several times their more powerful acceleration gets them in front of me and then I'll pass them again when the turns get back to back.

snip
Sounds like you would have enjoyed riding with the late, great, Jobst Brandt.
He was famous for his fearless descents as well as being a strong rider overall.

Regrettably, Jobst loathed TK and vice versa, although I don't think they met in person. Jobst was a fast rider in the '60s and '70s. I remember Laurence Malone, the CX phenom, talking about Jobst's grueling rides in the '70s. I saw Jobst at PAB back in the '70s but never did one of his rides. I was routinely dumped by a lot of the guys who did ride with him, mostly the Cat 1/2s who dominated NorCal. I was Cat 3 pack-filler. Hey, someone has to be the pack.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jobst was not a particularly fast climber because he used preposterous gears - something like a 48-19. No one climbs fast in a gear like that. Plus although he was a tall man (6'6"?) his bike was too big for him.

I could keep up with him on hard climbs but wouldn't even try on descents. And on the flats he was fast and did not break his cadence. I was never able to hold a hard fast cadence and never developed the ability to.

I didn't loath Jobst but I had no problem criticizing him after I watched him do crap like descending very fast and jumping a shoulder onto an off-camber dirt path without so much as a warning. I don't care how many people idolized him that was dumb.