Old February 15th 19, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Type of Riding You Do

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 12:17:40 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 11:51:55 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 7:15:11 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 1:49:36 PM UTC-8, wrote:
More and more from the comments from the group I get the feeling that Joerg, Jay and only possibly another or two ride for performance. That isn't racing but riding fast and doing things like going down hills and dropping car traffic in the turns. Going down the south side of Palomares I've even dropped the motorcycle play racers. Most of these guys haven't a clue of how to corner. Several times their more powerful acceleration gets them in front of me and then I'll pass them again when the turns get back to back.

snip
Sounds like you would have enjoyed riding with the late, great, Jobst Brandt.
He was famous for his fearless descents as well as being a strong rider overall.

The long-absent Ron Wallenfang who used to post here claimed that he was slow, but he was indefatigable. He could ride long distances relatively effortlessly.

My riding has virtually all been commuting to work with occasional bike tours thrown in along the way. I have no interest in "performance" riding. But, that's what is so good about cycling: I've found that cyclists are, by and large, true individualists. Not to be found all that often in 'normal' society.

There are precious few of us posting on usenet these days. I wish there were more (I wonder how we can publicize usenet in today's "social media" climate?).

Anyway, I think all cycling is good. These days now that I'm retired for the moment I am a utility cyclist. I like to do my shopping on the bike. Blackburn low-rider rack in front and rack in back, so four panniers of capacity if I need it.

Pureheart in Aptos

I did ride with Jobst. But we disagreed when I said that taking chances on his own is fine but when he doesn't worn the peleton following him he is taking chances with other people's lives.

He took a great deal of offense at that but Jobst would always be Jobst..

I didn't know the two of you actually rode together. His posts were not the sort of thing that one would expect to see exchanged between acquaintances.

-- Jay Beattie.

He didn't start that until I criticized him on the boards. He rather enjoyed the position of top dog and didn't at all like being brought down a notch.. Why else would you think that he would post a supposed map to my home. The way some of those Jobst sympathizers might well have gone to that little old ladies home and harassed her. Does that really sound like someone that was completely sane?

I was with him when he pulled that trick of jumping the shoulder of the road onto an off-camber dirt path and that's how I know he did it. That was also my last ride with him. I think that he did it to cause anyone behind him to crash. Luckily that pathway was in the late spring and the ground was still hard.

For the most part Jobst was OK but he was real easy to trigger. And he didn't like me suggesting to him that a 42-21 would allow him to climb faster. He wanted what he thought of as the macho gears that the Tour winners used. And they only used those stupid gears before lower gears were available. I started out using a 48/23 Campy and I was a sissy in his view.