Old June 16th 18, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default I hope this one sticks

The dime dropped during this ride: I should make my switchel
extra-strong, carry it in a disposable bottle, and use it to flavor
water I pick up along the way. Since an eighth of a cup of flour
didn't thicken it at all, I think I could put a quarter of a cup into
an imperial pint without making it too thick to strain. I've read
that acid can thin starch-based sauces, and the rhubarb was quite
tart. And it's oxalic acid, which is much stronger than vinegar.

(Looked it up. Cornstarch is particularly known as unsuitable for
thickening acid dishes. It's impossible to discuss white sauce
without expressing great horror at the possibility of "the taste of
uncooked flour". As I child, I picked wheat and ate it right off the
plant. It's *good* raw!)

I took a one-quart disposable bottle of water along, and still had a
pint in it when I got home.

To my surprise, I didn't feel tired at all when I got home. Perhaps
that is because Stacy's Sports Bar served my tea in a quart glass, and
when I'd nearly finished it, the waitress topped it off with more tea
(because the ice had melted) than had been in it in the first place,
and it was quite strong. When I finished my soup I poured the
remaining tea -- about half a pint -- into the bottle I'd planned to
ask her to fill with water. (The quart in the pannier had not been
touched at this time.) The ice in the tea went into the switchel, and
when I packed the chicken breasts in Black Ice, I added ice from the
sandwich bags I'd packed with The Black Ice. The ice cubes went on
top of the newspaper over the frozen food, and most of them went into
the switchel at various stops. At the last diluting of the switchel,
I dropped the ice onto the concrete. I rinsed each cube with a squirt
of water from the bottle I'd refilled inside, put most into the
switchel, and a few back into the bag. All this made a surprisingly
small mess on the concrete.

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 22:42:13 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I got my long-sleeved linen jersey out of storage. Much to my
surprise, it is in good repair. The outer pockets are tighter than I
remember; when I make my new one, I'll see whether I can steal a
centimeter from each end of the middle pocket.

I thought I'd been flipping my cookie, as items I thought I'd put in
the end pockets kept vanishing and turning up, to my vast relief, in
the middle pocket. Turns out that my row of pockets has internal
leaks.

I suspect that the leaks may be deliberate, as I end dividing stitches
above the fold to eliminate lint traps. Most likely the stitches came
undone, but it's possible that I made the spaces too big in the first
place.

I haven't examined it closely to see which because it's wet. I was
obliged to walk through a patch of poison ivy, so I undressed into the
washing machine -- which I'd have done anyhow: most of the tea,
switchel, and water that I drank ended up on my skin. I ran my
sleeves under the faucet at Aldi, and twelve minutes later, when I
stopped at Owen's, the sleeves were bone dry.

I can't say the same for arms inside them.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net