Old November 4th 08, 04:25 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike
JimmyMac

Default The Dilemma of Tom Sherman

On Nov 1, 5:38*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"JimmyMac" wrote in message

On Oct 30, 6:45 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

"JimmyMac" wrote in message

On Oct 29, 11:37 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]

A hermit is still a member of the society in which resides if he shares
anything in common with such members.

Biomass of like genetic material and chemical composition do not a

member of society make. No matter what kind of spin you attempt put
on this, a hermit voluntarily lives in solitude disenfranchised from
society. Being a member of society inherently presupposes an
association with community. Troglodyes simply do not qualify!

It is all about a shared culture and has next to nothing to do with
genetics. It is why American Blacks are Americans and NOT Africans. The
term
African American is moronic. American Black or American Negro is much more
correct.
The sound you just heard was my point whizzing over your head. *I

state the genetics has nothing to do with being a member of society.
How hard did you struggle to misconstrue what I wrote before
reiterating the concept which obviously escaped your poor powers of
perception?

Then why mention "biomass of like genetic material and chemical
composition"? I was always only talking about culture in relation to what
constitutes a society.

If being a member of society is about sharing culture and

hermits do not participate in and/or share in communal culture,
preferring an insular lifestyle of solitude, they consciously reject
the very society that they allegedly are part of, but you just fail to
comprehend what is a very elementary concept.

Wow! Are you sure you ever took any courses in sociology or anthropology.
For God's sakes, if you are even sharing a language you are basically
sharing everything. Hermits share culture just as much if not more than
those who are active socially. If that were not true, how the hell would we
even be able to communicate with one another.

I understand you quite well and you me. That is because we share a common
culture

..
Are you sadly incapable of formulating a reasonable, defensible
premise? OK. .. since you are obviously struggling with what is an
elementary concept, allow me to take one last cut at this. Sharing
language and/or a common culture are not definitive factors which
determine whether one is a member of society. A Turk, a Japanese, a
Swahilli, an Eskimo and an Egyptian speak vastly different languages
and are from vastly different cultures, but they are still members of
society ... that is unless they happen to choose the insular,
reclusive, cloistered lifestyle of the hermit. By choice, a hermit is
NOT a member of society!!! Enough said in the matter.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka