Old November 19th 08, 06:03 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike
Edward Dolan

Default The Dilemma of Tom Sherman

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
On Nov 18, 10:07 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]
Being a hermit has nothing to do with cutting yourself off from a culture,
which in part is what a computer and the Internet provides. It simply
means
that you do not see many people and prefer to be alone.
[...]

Contradicting yourself again??? Am I to assume that you are now

recanting your previous statement when you wrote ... Unlike
JimmyMac, I was never stupid enough to think computers were
important. Well are they or are they not stupid? That is the
question and which Ed really believes is yet another. If I am to
accept the preposterous premise that a computer and the internet
comprise a conduit to culture, than that begs the question as to what
was the conduit in the past prior to the invention of the computer and
the internet. A hermit shuns all form of social contact and
interaction with others, so then you must not be a true hermit, sort
of like being a lacto-ov-vegetarian or a pescatarian. No matter
though. You are what you are, but the bottom line is that you will
not discard the computer and internet connection and will not admit
that you are unwilling and unable to do so. You have made is
abundantly clear that regardless of what you have said to the
contrary, the computer and the internet are an integral part of your
compromised semi- hermetic lifestyle.

A computer and the Internet are NOT important, but they are amusing. When I
no longer find any of this amusing, I will be done with it but not before.
Conduits to culture (artifacts) exist in thousands of different ways, the
main one being language itself. A computer and the Internet is just one
conduit among thousands.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka