Old June 6th 19, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Protecting yourself

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 10:11:21 AM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 10:03:52 -0000 (UTC), Duane wrote:

But you can’t text without looking at it.

Notice that I didn't mention texting and that my suggestion would only
solve part of the mobile phone distraction problem.

Smartphones already have a built in GPS and accelerometer which can
detect if the phone is moving or stopped. It would be easy to disable
texting if the phone is moving. However, that would also prevent
texting while moving public transport (bus, train, airplane), as well
as prevent texting by passengers. So, there has to be a way to
determine if the phone is in the drivers seat. I could conjure
various schemes to make this work in new automobiles, but retrofitting
older passenger and commercial vehicles would be cost prohibitive. I'm
also undecided how to handle incoming texts, which will be a
distraction as the driver tries to read the message on the screen.
Displaying incoming texts could be delayed until the phone has stopped
moving, which might work for some applications.

The problem can also be handled with a little social engineering.
Simply raise the price of texting while moving. Since the phone can
detect if it's moving, the service provider can detect if the message
was sent while moving. Sending texts while stationary will be billed
at the usual low rate. Sending texts while moving gets billed and
possibly taxes at an exorbitant rate. I'm sure the service providers
will instantly approve of any idea that offers additional revenue.
Incoming texts would be delayed until the phone has stopped moving.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

What is the driver is using a voice to text program whilst driving?

Cheers