Old October 29th 05, 01:36 AM
Butch

Default advisor wanted

Ah yes statistics! I worked as an engineer for more than 30 years
and I can tell you what we used to say about statistics. Figures lie
and liars figure. Meaning of course that statistics are great if the
data is great but that almost never happens. No one ever took data
when my friend flipped his Gold Rush, no one ever got data when I fell
in front of the VREX and no one took data when I watched an older man
riding a diamond frame pull his handle bars off the bike and split his
skull(no helmet). You're right many people get hurt in many ways, I
just spent $45.00 for two bath mats (and I am cheap) cause I know how
easy it is to fall in a bath tub or shower and I also know how easy it
is to fall on a bike or recumbent, (I have seen a top rated trike flip
as well), that is why I wear a helmet, I don't care what you do but I
do care when you try to give a novice cyclist misguided advice. I know
helmets are not perfect, but in my opinion they are a lot better than
nothing. Oh yes now I remember another time when I think my helmet
saved me from injury, I fell when I was crossing a slippery section of
black top (in humid weather here it sometimes collects some sort of
slimy allgae or what ever) I slid for a long time fortunately my
fairing took much of the skid my head first went up and I remember
trying to stop it from coming down so I wouldn't hit the pavement, I
could not do it, I did tuck my chin just a bit and hit the side of the
helmet cracking it slightly. I lost a lot of skin and rode the rest of
the way home with my bloody butt hanging out but I didn't hurt my head.
Funny I couldn't find a single statistical data taker on the entire 46
mile trail that day. I can tell you one thing its to late to put it on
when you are sliding down that black top at 18 mph.

Happy Trails Butch