Old July 11th 03, 11:23 AM
Nicholas & Domino

Default Vancouver riders?

when I went to Van I stayed in the youth hostel for a few days

"MJ Carter" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I haven't posted here for several years now (not because I've
stopped mtbing mind ), used to post as Del (hehe some good flame
wars about various things, I guess I've grown up a bit since then
though). I remember from back then there
were quite a few posters on here from the Vancouver area.

I'm leaving the UK for Vancouver on a BUNAC (British Universites North
America Club) program in about 5 or 6 days (I haven't booked my flight
yet). Basically I'll be arriving with just my backpack, and a 12 month
temporary work permit, and I'll have to find somewhere to live for the
next few months, and get a job. Will probably be staying until late
sept or early oct (planning some travelling before I fly out (from
Toronto) though.

I was wondering if anyone from the Vancouver area could give me some
pointers on a few things:

1. I can't take my bike with me, because of the nature of my visit,
though I'm planning to buy a cheap second hand one for road use, maybe
cycling to where I find a job etc. Can anyone reccomend a good place
to get a cheap second hand rigid MTB/hybrid?

2. I'll also want to sample some of the famous north shore trails etc,
but I guess I'll need to hire a proper MTB for that - is there
anywhere I can hire a decent bike from? Also is there any riding
groups etc I can tag along with?

3. Can anyone reccomend a CHEAP place to stay for my first couple of
nights until I can find a room to let, that'll have vacancies if I
just turn up? Cheaper = better, I'm having to borrow about £1000 for
this trip as it is

4. If anyone knows somewhere decent where I might get work, would much
appreciate the info

5. Any misc tips/advice for someone in my position?

TIA, cheers for any help

reply to group or e-mail (remove LETTUCE
from the e-mail)

cheers again