Old May 13th 19, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Wheel/Spoke Magnets

On Sun, 12 May 2019 16:26:11 -0700, "Mark J."
wrote:

On 5/12/2019 6:27 AM, sms wrote:
On 5/12/2019 1:29 AM, Tosspot wrote:
Anyone know of some 'decent' ones.* The Sigma supplied ones won't
attract a whore in a crack house.* The Bosch type ones always seem to
corrode and fall off, and on top of that are easy to X-Thread.* The
Cat-Eye ones don't seem to stay put[1].* The Echowell/Yamaha ones seem
pretty decent but are like rocking horse **** this side of the pond.
Any other ideas?

[1] Yes, it is getting OCD!

When I lost the cadence magnet on my crank I used a hard-drive magnet,
i.e. https://www.ebay.com/itm/173209158372 but I got some used ones
from someone I knew at a disk drive company. I heat shrinked it over the
crank. I guess for a wheel magnet you could use some cable ties or some
baling wire and attach one of these to the spokes. The pick-up doesn't
have to be so close to the magnet when you use a disk drive magnet.

If heat shrink is too much trouble, the ?vinyl? stretchy plastic
electrical tape works pretty well also, I've done this for cadence
magnets. The tape may start to peel and degenerate into a sticky mess,
but if caught/redone in time, the mess is quite containable.

Mark J.

I bonded used Hard disk magnets onto the aluminum crank arms of all of
my (4) bicycles as much as 10 years ago using epoxy glue. To date the
magnets are all still attached :-)

As to the original post, I have spoke magnets that I attached to front
wheels both with radial spokes and with crossed spokes that have been
in place for 4 - 5 years.

What is the big problems with attaching magnets to bicycles?

--

Cheers,

John B.