Old April 6th 05, 12:51 PM
jj

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:41:50 -0500, Preston Crawford

On 2005-04-06, Leo Lichtman wrote:

"jj" wrote: (clip) In that event the first thing you want to do if you
can't immediately escape and ride off down a side street is get off the
bike. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
However, keep in mind that if he starts to get out of the car, you may be
able to position yourself to ride off. That's going to leave him looking
pretty stupid. This is one circumstance where I believe everyone will agree
that riding on the sidewalk or against traffic would be justified.

I've replayed this over and over again and I thought of the above
scenario. And the first thought that popped into my head was that I'd head
for his car, pull the keys and call the cops. Don't know why. Maybe I just
haven't gotten over it yet.

Preston

No, no, no...you do -not- want to do something pre-emptive like that. Trust
me. Think about it. Do you really want your life intertwined with this
a-hole? It then becomes a 'he said, she said' incident and you risk further
escalation.

It started as anonymous, keep it that way, de-escalate, calm him down, but
first get the hell out of there, ride off.

Of course if the guy hits you or runs you off the road then there's reason
to get a license number and report it.

You are already a winner by avoiding the confrontation. You ride off and he
can't touch you - you win, baybee. Believe me I understand the desire to
put these guys in their place, but it never works. You absolutely did the
right thing.

(I say this as a big guy who has trained in three martial arts, and can
squat 300lbs for reps and could crush most people like a twig, btw. g)

jj