Old July 30th 14, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Removing a freewheel - no wheel rim

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:16:44 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 07:05:56 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie

wrote:

Unless I'm conceptualizing this wrong, an impact hammer is not going to prevent flange damage. You're still going to have to place the hub in a vice or other fixture and then apply force to the freewheel. And even if you build it in to a wheel, you'll need the right remover. I certainly would not build one with a grinder.

You could try Muzi's approach but instead of using vice grips, use a strap wrench around the hub body. Considering the rim rotted off (how does that even happen?), the freewheel is probably welded to the hub, and a strap wrench won't do the trick.

-- Jay Beattie.

With a good impact wrench you could hold the hub in one hand, the

impact in the other, and often spin the freewheel off with no other

tools required. Might want a good leather glove to hold the hub

I had no idea. I have used an air tool to take off/put on lug nuts but that's about it. I would look in to this more if I had a freewheel on a hub with no rim -- or even just a freewheel on a hub with a rim. On my current bikes, however, I can get everything off with my selection of wrenches. The only difficult parts are pressed in.

-- Jay Beattie.