Old July 30th 14, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Removing a freewheel - no wheel rim

On 7/29/2014 12:09 PM, David Scheidt wrote: jbeattie
wrote:

: Considering the rim rotted off (how does that even happen?...

Wood rim?

No, it was a tubular rim, very light weight. It was originally on a
custom recumbent trike that belonged to a guy who passed away. The trike
ended up stored for several decades in the damp basement of a friend who
had no interest in it.

I don't know the chemistry explanation, but when I got it, the portion
of the aluminum rim that was (I assume) in contact with the ground was
corroded almost completely in two. Of course, the wheel was thoroughly
collapsed.

--
- Frank Krygowski