Old July 8th 19, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Carbon Frame Reliability

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 08:46:37 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 4:07:47 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 11:19:03 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 19:00:35 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 9:47:32 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/6/2019 9:18 PM, John B. wrote:

We might ask Frank whether he ever suggest that his engineering
students got their data from youtube. Or perhaps what his reaction
would have been if anyone had submitted a paper with a footnote saying
that "the values above were obtained from watching youtube".

One project I assigned annually was to research a variety of mechanical
and thermal properties of many different materials - various metal
alloys, a selection of plastics, a couple species of wood, etc.

No, YouTube would not have qualified as a source.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Another web source that is not usually accepted by professors is Wikipedia. It's astounding how many people read Wikipedia and watch You Tube and then pass themselves off as experts - sometimes even on You Tube.

Cheers

I do like Wikipedia as it covers an amazing number of subjects and I
do find that the majority of the more technical entries are factual.

On the other hand it is open to editing by just about everyone, which
sometimes does contribute to its accuracy, but I do find that some of
the more general entries can be somewhat slanted, or told from only
one viewpoint.

But I would say that anyone that relies on a single source for almost
any data is going to be disappointed.

--
cheers,

John B.

I remember when we were told to use at least THREE independent sources and to make sure that none of the three sources were just a reworded source from one of the others.

Cheers

The studies of measles and Lyme's Disease are the only full fledged studies available. How do you get three sources?

Well, lets see.

The first detailed description of what is now known as Lyme disease
appeared in the writings of John Walker after a visit to the Island of
Jura (Deer Island) off the west coast of Scotland in 1764. ( Summerton
N (1995). "Lyme disease in the eighteenth century)

In fact the Wikki list some 272 references to studies of Lyme disease
from about 1764 to the present.
--
cheers,

John B.