Old September 12th 19, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Special clothing for the bike

Yesterday (Tuesday, 10 September 2019) I had a couple of hours to
spare, I was already dressed for leaving the house, and I'd been
wanting to buy some whole coriander at the Spice Merchant in The
Village at Winona.

After about three steps on the gravel of the drive, I reflected that I
really didn't feel like walking that far and I've got a perfectly-good
pedestrian accelerator in the garage. Thumb-tested the tires, rolled
the Trek Pure out, stepped through the frame, noticed that my pants
were rubbing on the crankset.

I don't want to fray the hems of my only seeing-a-lawyer jeans, and I
don't keep safety pins in the left-side pocket. So I went back into
the house again to get the safety pins out of my very loud
flowered-linen jeans. But won't it be almost as easy to hang up the
black jeans and move my stuff from one set of pockets to the other?

Then, ugh! This flowered shirt looks *horrible* with flowered jeans.
So I changed shirts too. I did keep my shoes and socks on. (A good
thing, too. It takes what feels like five minutes to lace up the
sandals I was wearing.)

Almost turned back a third time, but what reminded me that I'd
forgotten to dump the stale water in my bottle was the sight of the
fancy new three-button fountain in the park. One button for the
drinking fountain, one for the dog dish, one for the bottle filler. No
sink under the bottle filler, but the tap was only a few inches from
the drinking fountain. And I think the nearby grass would have
appreciated a drink, had I thought of it.

After buying the coriander, I realized that I had made my last and
final batch of sweet-spice pickles that morning, and whole coriander
will be of no use before next summer.

Got home to find my partner on the porch, and amenable to "swiss melt"
for supper, so I stashed the coriander, dropped three bungee cords and
a cardboard box into the basket, and went back to the Village.

The first two bungees hooked onto the rack, but the third had to hook
onto the basket. The basket is the currently-fashionable perforated
sheet steel, so the bungee clung rather precariously to the wire
around the edge. I shook the bike and concluded that the lengthwise
bungees had sufficient sideways resistance to prevent disaster if the
crosswise bungee slipped.

I was thinking that I needed to punch some holes in the sheet metal,
which would be messy, but the holes in basket are large enough that I
could wire some D-rings on.

So I may be dropping in at the fabric store to buy bike parts.

Not that a Trek Pure is actually a bike . . .

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/