Old October 5th 03, 01:36 AM
Cubby01

Default New Torker: My first attempts trying to ride...

Thanks for any hints you'd care to share! --carl (A new uni from
North Dakota)

Carl, I'll turn 43 here pretty soon and just started riding in July. It's
amazing to ride today and recall the struggles of the first two weeks or so.
These days I'm able to mount and ride a mile or two without dismounting
quite easily. I've been working on rolling over speed bumps and scrap
lumber.

I've only one hint cause I know that like me you've read all the tips and
faqs you could find. JUST KEEP AT IT. It's just going to take a bit of
time for the neural connections between your butt, your brain, and your legs
to figure out what needs to happen. Till then, try to relax and let the uni
fall as it will. I'm also amazed at how much abuse the uni can take and how
much one can beat up a seat in that first few weeks. I'd suggest taping the
front and back of the seat to protect it a bit especially if you're
practicing on asphalt or concrete.

In the beginning I road around the inside of a tennis court hanging onto
chainlink fence. It helped me figure out how to get on and peddle around
the court grabbing chainlink but that's essentially what I learned... to
hold on to something. In hindsight I did this longer than I should have.
As soon as you can get several revolutions with assistance of a person,
wall, rail, or fence then start working on going it alone. I found an
empty parking lot that had quite a few light poles. Once I started getting
in a few revolutions of freedom and UPD'd, the next light post was only a
few yards away. You will hit the ground a lot. And in the most unexpected,
ungraceful ways. Wear at least a helmet and wrist guards.

OK well maybe that was more than one hint. Take Care. Have fun. It's
worth it.

-Cubby.