View Single Post
Old August 5th 13, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan
external usenet poster

Default Any recourse when negligently hit by another bike?

"T0m $herman" wrote in message ...

On 6/12/2013 7:13 PM, EdwardDolan wrote:
I am shocked that anyone is left in this world who even knows about this
group. It once had some glory days, but things have come to a sorry
pass. It is mostly dead now, killed off by trolls and other assorted idiots.

Do not be so hard on yourself, Mr. Ed Dolan.

Mr. Tom Sherman was a former mainstay of quite a few of these cycling groups on Usenet. He was perhaps its greatest advocate of “post free or die”. However, human nature being what it is, such free forums were impossible as we all eventually discovered. What destroys unmonitored newsgroups are all the “trolls and other assorted idiots” who know no bounds on their free speech.

The one thing Ed Dolan did that Tom Sherman never did was to take on all these idiots and give them a taste of their own medicine. Many a battle was fought and won by yours truly, but the end result was that the newsgroups were destroyed. The silences of the Tom Sherman’s of this world means that the lowest common denominator will always win out as every person with half a brain falls silent. I felt it was far better that a newsgroup cease to exist than that it be dominated by morons and idiots. Tom Sherman was neither a moron nor an idiot, but his silences were always deafening when things got hot. I attributed it to moral cowardice, but it may be that he had a stake in the world and needed to guard his privacy.

It is good riddance to Usenet newsgroups, with or without monitors. They may have served a function when the Internet was new, but have now become nothing but a remembrance of a past festival in which certain individuals gloried in their knowledge of one trivial thing or another. Only the Great Ed Dolan, who is also a Great Saint, remains to kick its dead ass.

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home