Old February 26th 21, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Felt F55X

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 7:32:05 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/25/2021 8:40 PM, jbeattie wrote:

The bottom line is that if you're building this for resale, you're looking at a tougher resale than just a real gravel bike with drop bars. You're building a coffee shop racer with flat bars and big tires. Maybe that sells in the Bay Area.

I confess, Tom's constant churning of his fleet puzzles me.

I tend in the opposite direction. I think very heavily before acquiring
something to make really sure that it's something I'll want to keep;
than I tend to keep those things a very long time. That applies to
bikes, cars, my motorcycle, my home, jobs, tools, and more. Heck, I'm
still on my first wife!

Everyone's different, I guess.

Frank, I doubt very much that I would have a major carbon fiber failure with the bikes I have. I moved to top of the line bikes to go to "light" only to discover that it makes so little difference in speed that it is foolish to put so much money into it. And in the back of my mind there is ALWAYS the possibility of a catastrophic failure.

So I'm not really "churning" my stable. I bought and am building up the Felt with a disk group I already had. My total cost for this bike sans the parts that I might otherwise be stuck with will be $480. Since complete bikes are far easier to sell, I should be able to sell all of this stuff off that has been on Craigslist for a year.

As for the sales of the carbon fiber bikes, I am just changing back to metal and taking that one worry in the back of my mind off.