Old February 26th 21, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Felt F55X

On 2/26/2021 1:45 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/26/2021 12:12 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/26/2021 12:54 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 7:32:05 AM UTC-8, Frank
Krygowski wrote:
On 2/25/2021 8:40 PM, jbeattie wrote:

The bottom line is that if you're building this for
resale, you're looking at a tougher resale than just a
real gravel bike with drop bars. You're building a
coffee shop racer with flat bars and big tires. Maybe
that sells in the Bay Area.
I confess, Tom's constant churning of his fleet puzzles me.

I tend in the opposite direction. I think very heavily
before acquiring
something to make really sure that it's something I'll
want to keep;
than I tend to keep those things a very long time. That
applies to
bikes, cars, my motorcycle, my home, jobs, tools, and
more. Heck, I'm
still on my first wife!

Everyone's different, I guess.

Frank, I doubt very much that I would have a major carbon
fiber failure with the bikes I have. I moved to top of the
line bikes to go to "light" only to discover that it makes
so little difference in speed that it is foolish to put so
much money into it. And in the back of my mind there is
ALWAYS the possibility of a catastrophic failure.

So I'm not really "churning" my stable.

How many bikes have you bought and sold in the last five or
ten years?

Personally, zero. I've ridden my very favorite bike for 49 years now.
That said, I flipped my 'nice' road bike frame for a new one every year
for many years. Both approaches are fine.

There's no law against Tom buying and selling his "dozens" of bikes in
five or ten years. And there's no law against a new bike every year,
especially if a person is a bike shop professional.

But Tom's compulsion seems like an addiction, like he's desperately
searching for contentment or validation or ... something.

I've known a couple individuals with persistent depression, whose
(unsuccessful) coping mechanism was compulsive shopping. It's a fairly
common syndrome.

--
- Frank Krygowski