Old October 7th 07, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
The Older Gentleman[_2_]

Default Cycle bays - waste of space?

On Friday, I had to pop up to town for a lunch appointment in Kensington
High Street.

Of course, as the councils have been ripping out motorcycle bays, or
making them smaller, and as the ones that are left are filled with
scooterbois who don't know how to park, finding a space is rather
tricky.

What intrigued me was how down the centre of KHS, they'd installed cycle
parking, with those gigantic great metal rails to chain bicycles to. OK,
good idea.

Except the rails are set about six feet apart, and each rail 'contains'
precisely two bicycles, one on each side, because (I suppose) if
someone's already chained their bicycle to the rail, chaining a second
one on the same side is rather tricky.

In short, what a ****ing waste of space. Bleeding acres of space that
could be used for disabled parking, or bus bays, or (yes) a motorcycle
bay or two would be nice, in order to accommodate a very few dozen
politically correct bicycles.

There's got to be way of using the space to hold more bicycles securely
in the given area. Hasn't there?

--
BMW K1100LT 750SS CB400F CD250 CB125 SL125
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3