Old December 1st 07, 03:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

Default Critical Mass - Fundamentalist Plonkers?

On 2007-12-01, PeteSig (aka Bruce)

"Vintage" wrote:

All I see is angry motorists and how that actually helps the cause and
changes their views I don't know.

Just to confirm your level of experience, how many Critical Mass rides have
you been on? (As an actual participant)

Because, having been on a few in Melbourne, my experience is that the
numbers of motorists expressing support for CM is actually quite high, at
least as many as those who honk the horn agressively.

Far higher was my experience.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but the horns were rather
infrequent. And maybe one angry young man in a mercedes, per ride.
The smiling drivers and passengers were everywhere.

I'm wondering if that is because for most people, they didn't actually
feel they were being delayed at all. We're out of there and their
memories in 10 minutes, tops. The gridlock is no different to what it
was yesterday, last week, or last month. One striking example of this
was near MCG one day, where the cars were stationary at a clogged
intersection, all ways. We saw from a distance that they were not
moving for 20 minutes -- not a single car. We just moved through the
intersection on the green, and were out of there, leaving the
clogginess behind.

We as a whole are much better off just thanking drivers that do the right
thing etc when out on the road and trying that way. Anyone that lets me
go
by, stops for me etc always gets a smile and thank you gesture.

Hey, great. This is actually what Critical Mass riders do while on the ride.
Revolutionary, huh?

Lots of cheering and smiliness Plenty of sacasticness too, but
plenty of genuine friendliness to counteract that.

Haven't been on a Sydney CM though.

--
TimC
The stereotypical Islay is like chewing on a well-preserved rowing