Old December 26th 03, 06:54 PM
A Muzi

Default carbon fiber fork question

"TedK618265" wrote in message
I have a Specialized Allez alluminum frame and am thinking about getting a
carbon fiber fork for it. I have seen forks with cro-moly steering tubes,
alluminum steering tubes, and carbon fiber steering tubes. Are there any
differences as to strengh and durability? Also, if I decided to get a

fork
with a carbon fiber steering tube, does it require a special headset (the

frame
is not built for an integrated headset). Any thoughts appreciated.

Bill wrote:
I've had a full carbon fork fail. The steerer tube broke. Not worth any
weight saving, IMO!

Bill, can you tell us more about that, please?

I was the loudest Cassandra about the dangers of
carbon/carbon forks a couple of years ago. But I've been
proved wrong. Now there are tens of thousands of minimal
offbrand carbon forks now and the failure rate is minuscule.

So what more can you tell us about that - brand and model?
Mileage? Any mitigating factors, like front impact? Where
and how did it break? (Where on the piece, not where on a map).

Since the incidence os so very low, I'm starved for information.

AFAIK, _every_ fork can be used with either an integrated or
with a normal headset (so long as the other dimensions are
appropriate). Anyone know of a counterexample?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org