Old April 27th 19, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Cyclists are putting red cups in the road to show how driversoften invade bike lanes

On 4/26/2019 6:58 PM, sms wrote:
https://www2.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/04/26/cyclists-are-putting-red-cups-road-show-how-drivers-often-invade-bike-lanes/fskNwwciZ5I793zvL7hUWN/story.html

“We ... need connected protected bike lanes to accommodate everyone from
age 8 to 80 to ride stress free to school, work, and to the store,” he
said. “We also need to educate drivers that cyclists are legally
entitled to ride on the road and for drivers to share the space and be
courteous.”

Ah, another fundamentalist principle: No car tire must ever touch the
pavement inside a bike lane! It sounds very similar to the kosher demand
that a spoon used for milk must never touch meat, nor vice-versa.

I don't have a problem with kosher kitchens, if that's what someone
believes. I just don't think that mentality should extend to public
roadways. In fact, one problem with bike lanes is that car tires don't
touch them often enough! The result is gravel, broken glass or other
debris that sits in the lanes until the street sweeper comes by. In my
area, that's only once every six months.

And the result of the debris in the bike lane is that bicyclists in bike
lanes have to ride farther to the left, since the lane is cleanest
closest to the cars. This puts riders closer to passing cars, and
effectively wastes road space.

All that's really necessary is for the motorist to stay out of the
cyclist's space _when the cyclist is in it_. That's why I prefer a
normal wide lane instead of the same lane with a bike lane stripe.

This "Desecration!" stuff is nonsense.

--
- Frank Krygowski