Old November 18th 08, 07:00 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default Is your place walkable, bikeable or just a hole?

(This guy introduces the subject of walkable, which I adapt for this
forum to bikeable, so you can actually find out if you live in
something called in the old times a "community" or just a hole)

Doug wrote:
I was surprised that my old neighborhood in New Orleans was a
“walker’s paradise” at 100%, while my South Beach apartment was only
“very walkable” at 86%. I’m only somewhat walkable now at 51% in
DeLand.

Walkscore.com apparently gauges its rating by the proximity of things
like grocery stores, parks, movie theatres, schools, libraries,
bookstores, bars, drug stores, etc. However, that doesn’t necessarily
mean the streets are that friendly to cross! And it also leaves out a
lot of businesses and mentions others that no longer exist.
Nonetheless, assuming the margin of error is equal, it should give you
a rough idea of how pedestrian-friendly your community is.

Enter your address into this gizmo and see how walkable your
neighborhood is!

(enter address here)
http://walkscore.com/

***

My place is highly walkable, but hardly bikeable…

Should I be happy or sad about it?

NOTE: I correct myself, my place only scored a 54… I can indeed walk
in safety and without barking mastiffs (something unheard of in Miami)
but it’s quite far. If you like long walks though (like a mile) then
you should be happy with it. The only thing that doesn’t make me happy
is that I rather bike a mile than walk a mile.