Old July 23rd 03, 11:42 PM
Goimir

Default Bicycle commuting

Jon Bloom wrote:

e bill at issue would eliminate Transportation Enhancement funding. This
is precisely the funding used to widen shoulders, provide ped/cycle access
to bridges and make various safety improvments that affect cyclists and
pedestrians.

Bottom line: Unless all of your riding is on single track, this proposed
cut in funding very much affects you.

I don't really see what the big attraction is to shoulders, anyway.
They're always filled with glass, gravel, litter, cigarette butts, and
other wonderful things. Better off in the lane, which is kept clean by
traffic. Let the motorists pass you when it's convenient and safe.

The only thing I could really see this affecting is traffic signals.
But isn't that covered under some other act/publication? Something
about universal accessability? Don't sensors have to pick up all valid
traffic, or they are considered "broken"? And if the signal is broken,
treat it as a 4 way stop.

I think we can ride on the road. Let's not lose our rights to it by
demanding special facilities(cycle paths that let us avoid roads, or
special lanes where we must ride when they are present).

I'm not talking about breaking the law, or cvffvat people off, just
getting from point a to point b, on the roads that we are entitled to
use, in a safe and speedy manner.