Old August 4th 03, 05:12 PM
one of the six billion

Default Is 15 mile road bike commute too far?

"Jeffrey Pogodzinski" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a road bike to commute to work every day.

Would 15 miles each way be too far?

I am in pretty good shape but new to biking.

About how long would it take?

How fast (average speed) can the average beginner go on a road bike?

Thanks, Jeff.

It's probably not too far, but that's an individual call. It might take
as long as 4 to till it becomes comfortable, but the great thing about a
bike is you can vary your speed to go at a rate that is comfortable.
Depending on your route how long it takes can vary quite a lot. How many
hills, how much wind (and which direction), and how many lights are the
major factors. With a flat course, no major intersections or wind it
might not be difficult to make it in an hour. That's probably the shortest
time you could expect then depending on all the above factors it could go
twice that high. With average conditions it will probably take about an
hour and 15 minutes. Have fun, I find being on a bike much more fun than
being in a car.