Old August 4th 03, 05:38 PM
Marc Plum

Default Is 15 mile road bike commute too far?

If you are new to bicycling, you may need to work up to it, but it's very
do-able.

My commute is 12 miles out and 14 miles back. The longer route back is
actually easier because of traffic conditions here at 5:00 p.m. My bike is
a somewhat modified hybrid (I put drop bars and a road stem on it, added SPD
pedals, and selected some tires that were better for pavement). It takes me
about 40 to 45 minutes to work, and perhaps 50 to 55 on the way back,
depending on how I'm feeling that day and how much I'm carrying. This is on
very slightly hilly terrain, and there is more climbing on the return trip.
I'm 46 years old and in reasonable shape, but no athlete. The other guy at
work who commutes by bike, rides ten miles each way on a stock hybrid, and
he comes over a much more difficult hill. I don't know how long it takes
him, except that he doesn't seem to think it's too long. He's in his 50s,
but in excellent shape.

Average speed depends on a lot of things, and I suggest doing some test
rides on your days off to get an idea of your own capabilities. I think 15
mph on a lightly loaded bike should be easy enough for most people, and many
can go much faster, but count on being slower at first.

If this bike is being bought primarily for transportation, it may be a good
idea to shop for one that will easily accept fenders and a rear rack, but
that's really a topic for another thread, along with all your other
equipment choices.

Hope that helps.

Marc

"Jeffrey Pogodzinski" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a road bike to commute to work every day.

Would 15 miles each way be too far?

I am in pretty good shape but new to biking.

About how long would it take?

How fast (average speed) can the average beginner go on a road bike?

Thanks, Jeff.