Old May 11th 18, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Dynamo/LED power conditioning

On Fri, 11 May 2018 10:28:49 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 5/11/2018 9:43 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip
Interestingly, most people are perfectly fine without DRLs. I can see DRLs and flashers in low light conditions, but actually requiring them for all conditions is dopey. I know you like to poke the ant-hill on this issues, so go for it, but equipment requirements will just turn into selective enforcement tools for cops who dislike certain riders. You're batteries run out, and some cop busts you because he doesn't like some ordinance you passed.

We need to pass more laws to make everything safe for everybody.

I'm not sure that is correct. While I haven't read every State's
vehicle laws but the ones I have read seem to show that simply
enforcing the existing traffic laws will go a long way toward
improving things.

Actually I'm the only one on our council that's voted against some
ridiculous new ordinances that try to do that. On one vote the City
Clerk was so shocked that she reported the vote as unanimous and I had
to interrupt her to correct her. Passing meaningless, unenforceable laws
that are already duplicated at the state level is ridiculous. We have no
real way to even prosecute violators of some ordinances because the
county DA won't do it. OTOH, for some things, it's not that enforcement
is expected, it's about getting people to understand what behavior is a
good idea, and knowing that most people have the sense to do what the
law says (seat belt laws, etc.).

In my area, there's no need for laws regarding bicycle DRLs or rear
flashers, since usage is already very high for transportational cycling.
Some areas of the country could use this law. For example, in some
counties in Ohio, such as Mahoning County, there appears to be a need
for such a DRL law.

--
Cheers,

John B.