Old May 12th 18, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Dynamo/LED power conditioning

On 5/11/2018 1:25 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/11/2018 11:44 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/10/2018 11:19 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
:On 5/10/2018 6:15 PM, John B. wrote:
:
: I suspect that you, like I, are what might be called a
sensible rider.
: RE, door zones, just slow down a bit so you have time
to dodge the
: door if necessary.

:Um... no, that's not sensible.

:Consider what happens if you're riding just 15 kph and a
driver pops his
:door open as you pass his rear bumper. There's no way to
stop in time.

:If you're lucky, you'll hit his door squarely and crumple
beneath it. If
:you're unlucky, you'll snag the door edge with your right
handlebar, the
:bike will steer to the right, your body will be thrown
down to the left,
:and the motor vehicle you were worried about will run
over you.

:Unlike mountain lion attacks, dooring really is a danger.
Most states
:don't record it as a car-bike collision, because they
record those only
:if the car was moving. But Chicago did keep track, and
found that
:something like 20% of car-bike crashes were doorings.

And we have a $1000 fine for causing an accident by
dooring -- and the
cops write the tickets.

on't ride in the door zone. Just don't.

Yeah, you live in smallsville.Â* If I don't ride in the
door zone, it
takes me three times as long to get to work.

Why are those the only choices? Details, please. What
happens if you move a few feet left?

You mean under the bus? Urban riding s a game of inches, literally.

I'd be in front of the bus, not under it.

--
- Frank Krygowski