Old August 17th 19, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Recovery and Diet

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 13:03:09 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/16/2019 10:42 AM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

The compass on the dash of my car has been quite handy at times, and
the ones on each bike have been even more useful.

Agreed. I have no sense of direction and often find myself moving
opposite the direction intended. I made sure to get a compass in the
car, and carry one on the bike whenever going anywhere unfamiliar.
Both have been useful many times.

I don't enjoy looking at the map on my cellphone -- when zoomed out
enough to plan a route all the street names disappear. But being able
to find my location once totally lost is quite handy.

One former cycling friend of mine (now gone, killed on a badly designed
bike facility) told me about a ride in a small plane to a city maybe an
hour or two away, owned by a friend of his.

His friend navigated by following the property lines and road grid,
which are mostly N-S-E-W west of here. But when they took off to return,
he mistook west for east on the cloudy day. They flew out of their way
for quite a while!

Years ago I worked at a facility that trained U.S.A.F. pilots and
certainly the instructors all told the students about following
railroad tracks and highways :-)
--
cheers,

John B.