Old August 17th 19, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Recovery and Diet

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 5:58:30 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/16/2019 7:25 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 18:31:46 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 8/16/2019 6:01 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 13:03:09 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/16/2019 10:42 AM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

The compass on the dash of my car has been quite handy at times, and
the ones on each bike have been even more useful.

Agreed. I have no sense of direction and often find myself moving
opposite the direction intended. I made sure to get a compass in the
car, and carry one on the bike whenever going anywhere unfamiliar.
Both have been useful many times.

I don't enjoy looking at the map on my cellphone -- when zoomed out
enough to plan a route all the street names disappear. But being able
to find my location once totally lost is quite handy.

One former cycling friend of mine (now gone, killed on a badly designed
bike facility) told me about a ride in a small plane to a city maybe an
hour or two away, owned by a friend of his.

His friend navigated by following the property lines and road grid,
which are mostly N-S-E-W west of here. But when they took off to return,
he mistook west for east on the cloudy day. They flew out of their way
for quite a while!

Years ago I worked at a facility that trained U.S.A.F. pilots and
certainly the instructors all told the students about following
railroad tracks and highways :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Friend of mine used to say he used IFR navigation in his
small plane. "I Follow Roads"

I'm not sure whether it was taught as a standard navigation practice,
but why not. There is only one river in the region and it runs north
and south... There is only one railroad in the region and it runs
north and south.
--
cheers,

John B.

It's a pilot joke.
More expensive airplanes can fly on instruments only rather
than visual - if you have instruments.

More expensive pilots can fly IFR. Modern instruments are like Garmins on steroids, probably because they are Garmins on steroids. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-t...2-c583-p1.html

My brother's latest plane: http://www.tbm.aero/products/tbm-700/ 300 knots. Fast mo-fo.

He just retired from the airlines after 30 years, and I flew with him through all of his ratings. The worst was aerobatics. I didn't have the stomach for it.

-- Jay Beattie.