Old November 1st 04, 03:42 AM
Werehatrack

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 03:09:07 GMT,
wrote:

Phil who? writes:

Another question: does everyone see this happen on their unfinished
rims?

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/crap/rim1.jpg

It appears to be that the rim is being pulled away at the locations
of the drive-side nipples (picture taken from the nondriveside).
The other side of the wheel demonstrates much less of this effect.

Yes, we've discussed that at length here. A slight deformation of the
sidewall appears to be caused in manufacturing by spoke bores, but has
no effect on performance.

You piqued my curiosity. I was had been looking at a wheel here that
displayed a lesser amount of this effect. and since it is not on a
bike at the moment, and needed some other work anyway, I grabbed a
mike and did some measuring as I released some spoke tensions. The
width at the tip of the sidewalls varied around the rim, and there was
a definite waviness that followed the spokes; the wave was
characterized by about two and a half to three thousandths of
difference between at-spoke and between-spoke width. When I released
the tension on four spokes, the measurement increased at each of those
locations by about two thousandths, with the result that the wheel had
much less waviness in the rim width across those regions.

I think this indicates that the spoke tension is causing the rim to
deform slightly at the spoke locations. I don't necessarily view that
as a problem, though; it certainly does not seem to be causing any
difficulties. I've noticed this type of wear pattern a number of
times, and it does not seem to be associable with any pattern of
failure.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.