Old November 2nd 04, 02:22 AM
Werehatrack

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 04:49:18 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
wrote:

I think this indicates that the spoke tension is causing the rim to
deform slightly at the spoke locations. I don't necessarily view that
as a problem, though; it certainly does not seem to be causing any
difficulties. I've noticed this type of wear pattern a number of
times, and it does not seem to be associable with any pattern of
failure.

I think it's due to spoke tension, too, because the wavy pattern is apparent
to a much higher degree on my non-drive-side than on the drive side.

Thanks for the testing and hard data.

Oddly enough, in looking through the rest of the used wheels, I ran
across a Ritchey front rim that had the wavy pattern reversed; the
wide spots ae at the spokes, rather than between them. Most of the
rims showed no wavy pattern at all. This still looks like it's more
of a curiosity than anything else, though; it doesn't seem to have
much of an effect on the usefulness of the rim.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.