Old February 14th 18, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Battery Replacement on Lights with Internal Li-Ion Batteries

On 2/14/2018 12:15 PM, jbeattie wrote:

I wear a styrofoam hat; I wear high-viz sometimes, and I use a bunch of different lights -- and even a DRL when its overcast or raining. So, I'm already half-way to believing. But when a study involving the safety benefits of a lame little hub-level blinky shows that it reduces solo daytime accidents by over 25%, that doesn't pass the smell test. Does the light improve wet-road grip? Braking power? Attention? Maybe the riders are just more vigilant being in a study group. I'm more vigilant when I know I'm being studied, particularly when I'm being studied by a cop.

You have to understand the difference between causation and correlation.
But there are legitimate reasons why solo accident rates also fall.

Read page 169 of
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=LvthAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA168&hl

The key thing is to use accurate research, with control groups, even if
they can't be double-blind perfect studies. I have no personal or
financial interest in promoting any agenda, I just would like cyclists
to believe accurate research and choose to take reasonable steps to
increase safety. OTOH, Frank loves to promote fake "studies" while
dismissing peer-reviewed studies that don't happen to support his
agenda. He doesn't realize that this approach doesn't help his agenda
because no one takes those fake studies seriously.