Old February 9th 20, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Hot nipples (wheel truing)

On 08/02/2020 20:00, pH wrote:
I note my non-drive side spokes are looser than I'd like and plan to
give them a 1/4 turn.

I don't think it should affect my centering much, but, anyway, since
it's been a long time I'm planning to put a drop of transmission
fluid on each nipple then heat it briefly w/ a propane torch, or
maybe vice-versa, heat then oil, just so I can make sure they are not
too bound up.

Good idea? Bad idea? I'll hold off a day until some opinions roll
in.

ph in Aptos

I've done this once or twice and never bothered with such stuff. 1/2
on, 1/4 off and forget it. deep breath I use WD40 when assembling the
wheel as I find it evaporates well, isn't a lubricant, but spokes never
bind. Even wheels I've been handed which have had no lubricant on
assembly come apart well enough, and the odd rounded nipple phnaar
phnaar is simply replaced.

While I'm here, not for my commuters, but other higher end bikes, I'm a
*big* fan of bladed spokes as you can see the twist and a slot in a bit
of hardwood stops it just nicely.