Old May 4th 08, 10:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Wal-Mart Italian Road Bike for $1198

Chalo Colina wrote:
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
Chalo wrote:
I thought the Madone was made out of plastic
and formed in a mold. I know it's expensive for what it is, but taken
all together that would make Madones the equivalent of '80s Oakley
sunglasses-- cooked up like polymer waffles and sold at an umpteen
squillion percent markup.

Plastic? That's like someone telling you that your Nishiki & Fuji &
Cannondale are made from refined dirt.

No, it's like saying they are made from "metal" rather than "quad-
butted Valite!"

Madone frames, like all CFRP frames, are made from charred
polyacrylonitrile resin-- that's plastic, by the way-- in a matrix of
epoxy resin. Which is, y'know, plastic. Plastic is the least
marketing-termish thing you could call them.

I thought plastic referred to non-recoverable deformation, not a
material type. The correct term is polymer.