Old January 21st 13, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
J.B.Slocomb

Default Bicycling and Divorce

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 16:27:08 -0800, Jym Dyer wrote:

= John B.
I can't comment on people who take several weeks to be away
from their wives as I really can't imagine it. Perhaps I'm old
fashioned by my marriages have been more a matter of forming a
partnership than some sort of adversary sort of thing.

=v= Yeah, the whole adversary thing is tiresome and inane, just
a bunch of sad jokes that have been repeated ad nauseum. Maybe
they're understandable as a coping mechanism, but why inflict
unfunny humor on the rest of us?

=v= Separate vacations isn't necessarily a bad thing and doesn't
mean a relationship is doomed. People can love each other very
much and want to spend their lives together, but still pursue
separate interests from time to time.
_Jym_

I'm sure that social mores have a lot to do with the stability of
marriages. In, say my grandparents day, divorce was simply "not the
thing to do" in the social and religious atmosphere that prevailed at
the time in rural New England.

In addition to the social stigmata of divorce was the fact that
marriages were usually contracted between members of the local society
and thus between individuals who had likely known each other for most
of their life.

--
Cheers,

John B.