Old May 28th 15, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Experiment determines drivers do not see 22% of cyclists in clearview.

On 5/28/2015 10:27 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 8:56:52 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/27/2015 8:26 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2015 16:13:07 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

snip

Everyone I know who has tried it - and there are many - report that
riding more prominently gets them much more passing clearance from
motorists, and fewer crashes and close calls. For one thing, it's
obvious from much further back that the presence of the cyclist will
require some attention.

Although passing clearance often has nothing to do with road position.

I have been passed closely while riding lane center -- taking the entire
lane. Numerous times. Taking the lane makes sense in places, but it is no
guaranty of safe passes.

Really, nothing is 100% guaranteed. All one can do is arrange to put
the odds in one's favor.

Today I did a club ride (retirement is nice!), about 25 miles on mostly
narrow rural roads, plus a state highway or two. About a dozen riders.
I don't think there was a moment when we didn't control the lane, i.e.
ride near lane center, often two abreast. We suffered zero close
passes, and I believe every motorist went as far left as possible to
pass us.

No, it's not always 100%. About two weeks ago I led a club ride and had
one pickup truck driver (with a "handicapped" plate) deliberately pass
me with about a foot of clearance, despite having an open left lane on
the low-traffic four-lane road. Jerks exist. But even in that case, my
leftward position gave me room to move right if I'd really needed it.

If I'd ridden a foot from the gutter - default position for many
cyclists - I would probably have endured many more passes about that
close. The difference would have been that those motorists wouldn't
have thought they were doing anything wrong.

--
- Frank Krygowski