Old May 28th 15, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Experiment determines drivers do not see 22% of cyclists in clearview.

On 5/28/2015 3:56 PM, James wrote:
I ride in a
prominent position in the hope they will see me. Mostly they do,
however twice recently, despite riding in a prominent position on the
road in broad day light and contrasty clothes, I had drivers come from
side roads on my right who turned on to the street in the same direction
of travel as me - right in front of me, such that I had to take evasive
action to avoid a collision. I believe their view of me was blocked by
the left side A pillar.

That's interesting. I've noticed similar situations where the driver's
A pillar might have hidden me from view. That definitely puts me on
high alert, ready to evade.

--
- Frank Krygowski