Old December 2nd 18, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Dirty Dozen 2018

On Sat, 01 Dec 2018 14:10:02 -0800, jbeattie wrote:

Wasn't Warm Showers part of the Steele Dossier? Totally OT, but I was
riding across southern Illinois and stopped somewhere near Carbondale at
a KOA or some camp-dump that was where we ran out of gas and figured we
would stop. The next morning, we ride maybe two or three miles east,
through a pleasant neighborhood and there is a Grant Wood-esque husband
and wife running a mini-hostel/shower facility for cyclists. He was on
the front lawn when we rode by and corralled us into stopping for a
sweet roll -- or part of one. As I recall, it was the sort of fare you
got in the parish hall after Sunday service. Nice cozy home where we
could have stayed instead of some miserable urban camp site.
Pre-internet, I can only wonder how they informed riders of their
operation. They weren't in our used Bikecentennial tour book.

As I vaguely remeber, "the warm showers" concept(name?) started about the
time BikeCentennial under is original name spring up. It was a printed
list that you could get a copy of by being on the list. We had a similar
list in Australia that followed that model. The Australian version passed
before the internet started due to the cost of printing and sending
copies.