Old November 4th 05, 05:16 AM
Mark Hickey

Default A bad fall

"Roger Zoul" wrote:

Paul Hobson wrote:

: I remember reading about this photo a while back. It was taken to
: demonstrate to the local gov't (in China) that the roads needed some
: serious work. With that in mind, the photographer went out to the
: location where he new there was a huge pothole that collected water
: during big storm events. He sat there and waited for a cyclist (a
: delivery worker in this case, IIRC) to ride into the trap that he
: knew existed. For this, the photographer was heavily criticized.

Amazing.....

I'll say... the bike roads (not "lanes", not "paths", though they are
in a true sense MUPs because they're used by horse carts, taxis, cars,
tractors and busses at times) in China can be "very exciting".

One of the problems they had in Bejing when I lived there was people
stealing the manhole covers. I remember one near where I lived that
was open for months, on a VERY dark road (well, at night anyway).

Finally some civic-minded citizen stuck a TREE in the thing (keep in
mind it's still in the middle of the road).

Other "interesting things" that you'd see included concrete blocks
that would stay in the middle of the bike road for weeks, open
trenches, and pavement conditions that would challenge most MTBs.

And this in a country where almost none of the bikes use lights at
night, and I swear half of 'em don't have working brakes.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame