Old February 23rd 04, 08:52 PM
Dan

Default Ruined my Rockhopper - need used recommendation

I crashed my Rockhopper and bent the frame. Most of the components are
in good shape so I could move them to another bike if necessary. It's
about 4 years old.

I started pricing components and quickly determined that it would be
cheaper to get a used bike than to try and fix mine. The frame needs
to be replaced, as do a few components. I'm currently out of work, so
I need something cheap. Another Rockhopper in good condition would be
fine, but I can't seem to find one - at least not for a reasonable
price. Need to stay in the $250 range or under.

I do mostly off road riding, mostly logging or fire roads, but some
narrow trails as well. Often up and down steep grades, riding in mud
all winter long. So I need something that can withstand a lot of dirt.
I occasionally ride on pavement, but street riding is not a
consideration.

Any ideas on what might be a great bargain? Also, any idea where to
find a good selection of used bikes? Not much out on eBay, and
shipping will be high. There must be millions of people selling
mountain bikes they never use. (Where are they? I want your unused
bike!!)

Note that I'm in Portland, OR.

Thanks,
Dan