Old July 21st 11, 01:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default habitat

On Jul 21, 12:00*am, RobertH wrote:
On Jul 20, 4:49 pm, Michael Press wrote:

Besides that, horses evolved in North America, and hence arguably have
the right to go wherever they want to.

Horses were introduced to N. America by the Spanish in the 1500s.

Both are true statements.

Well it's complicated isn't it. The 'horses' that evolved in 'N.
America' evolved in a very different climate -- wasn't so-called N.
America down near the equator tens of millions of years ago? And then
didn't those horses become extinct in an evolutionary process as time
went on and 'N. America' changed? So arguably the timeline of horse
development in 'n. america' proves even further that Mother Nature
doesnt actually want them here. They are introduced species.

That is, unless the early horses were hunted to extinction by early
man, then all bets are off.

Anyway Vandemort's point is a non-starter. Horses almost never get to
'go wherever they want to go.' I love horses and that would be fine
with me, but the reality is they are fenced into pens and parcels then
directed along a very narrow path by their riders, thus destroying the
surface of that path.

But since they have the right to go wherever they want to, that's not
a problem. Bikes, on the other hand, have NO rights.