Old April 18th 14, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Girl texting while driving hits cyclist, says "I just don't care"

On Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:46:53 AM UTC+1, James wrote:
On 17/04/14 08:15, Duane wrote:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...160024963.html

Texting while driving is so totally wrong.

But according to 21-year-old Kimberly Davis, it's totally not her fault.

Davis, who according to phone records was texting with seven different

people while driving her vehicle through Koroit, Australia, slammed into

a cyclist from behind, severely injuring him. Local police say she used

her phone 44 times while driving during the trip.

It happened at about 7:20 p.m.

[ More Buzz: Happy Palindrome Week! ]

Apparently the warning lights that had been placed on the front and back

of the cyclist's bike were invisible to Davis.

"I just don't care because I've already been through a lot of bull****

and my car is like pretty expensive and now I have to fix it," Davis told

police, according to The Standard.

She was apparently "****ed off that the cyclist hit the side of her car."

Davis actually did call emergency responders, even though the cyclist

claims she refused to help him. He claims she just left him on the side of the road.

[ More Buzz: Principal writes tooth fairy f0r student's lost tooth ]

"I don't agree that people texting and driving could hit a cyclist. I

wasn't on the phone when I hit the cyclist," Davis said.

Originally charged with 47 offences for each time she used her phone

while driving, Davis was fined a total $4,500 and her license was

suspended for nine months.

The cyclist, who was originally told he could be left paralyzed for life,

suffered a spinal fracture requiring surgery and placement in a spinal

cage at Melbourne's Austin Hospital.

Cheers

Saw this. Rider gets 3 months in the hospital and this idiot gets a fine

and 9 months catching the bus. She should get jail time. 47 offences?

More...

http://www.standard.net.au/story/222...-crash-victim/

--

JS

She truly belongs to the "me-me-me-me-me-me" generation.

I wonder if something can't be done to remove the magistrate who gave such a lenient sentence to a clearly unrepentant transgressor.

Andre Jute