Old June 8th 21, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Shimano availability?

On 6/8/2021 8:58 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/7/2021 10:06 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

A bit more seriously: I've sometimes thought it would be
nice to have access to a CNC mill, to refurbish freewheel
cogs. It would keep my ancient SunTour freewheels going.

Is that even possible?Â* Any material removal just reduces the root
diameter, right?

I don't think so. AFAICT there's no wear at the root diameter. My idea
would be to replicate the profile of a brand new driven surface (the
back side of the tooth) but rotated a couple degrees clockwise. The
result should be a tooth shaped like the original, but not as wide
circumferentially - if that makes sense.

BTW, I'm not claiming this makes practical sense. My SunTour freewheel
board has dozens of cogs (but not some favorites), and other freewheels
are still available.

--
- Frank Krygowski