Old August 28th 06, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Scandrett

Default Cycling in north Wales for a not-quite-beginner

Hi

Stewart Devereux wrote on 22/08/2006 23:09:
http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/

Thanks for this, and to others for their input. I decided to take the
advice of someone on here and just go for it, so I took a few days last
week.

My plan was to head out to Caernarfon; Wednesday did Bangor
(station)-Caernarfon, Thursday did a record (for me in one day) 31m
ride starting at Rhyd Ddu (hurrah for the WHR) and back to the town via
Foryd Bay and around NCN8; on Friday I went from Caernarfon to Llanfair
PG and took the train back. In summary, I think I enjoyed it -
particularly the Thursday - although I also enjoyed crossing the Menai
bridge and some of the other downhill sections! I must admit that a
couple of miles on the hills out of Bangor I was regretting even
starting it and wondering if I'd bitten off more than I could chew; once
I got over that bit though it got better and I had quite a nice time
(and was pleasantly surprised by my achievements).

If anyone's interested, you can read a bit more (and see the routes I
took) at http://www.scandrett.net/bike/ (links at the bottom).

Now I know a little more about the area and I'm a bit more confident I
might venture back sometime to the area and see how I go... perhaps
pootling along the coast near Llandudno or out on the Llyn peninsula.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Peter

PS Is it normally such a nightmare to reserve bike places on trains? I
was given a stressful run around by different phone numbers/the station
when I bought my ticket and gave up in the end; fortunately it wasn't
too busy but it didn't help my peace of mind before I'd even started!