Old June 14th 19, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Hot rodding e-bikes

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 1:15:13 PM UTC-7, Zen Cycle wrote:
On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 9:13:46 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:

think it was John Allen (author of the excellent Street Smarts booklet)
who pointed out that until now, there's been at least a rough
correlation between a rider's average speed and his skill on the bike.
E-bikes destroy that correlation. "Chipped" ones will be worse.

I'd suggest these are Darwin Awards candidates, except that such people careening on a e-bike could kill innocent bystanders as well.

E-bikes can also be pretty benign and convenient. I was in Seattle on Tuesday, noting the number of bike-share eBikes. It made sense with the steep hills. https://sdotblog.seattle.gov/2016/08...ntown-seattle/
https://www.geekwire.com/2018/uber-l...tric-bicycles/

IME, the hot-rodded eBikes are typically ridden by people who are not cyclists and are just trying to beat traffic -- as opposed to cyclists who could just use a little help.

-- Jay Beattie.