Old November 16th 19, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Getting used to Time Trial Bikes

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 10:41:35 PM UTC, Steve H wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:

I had a Trek team trial bike with full Dura Ace and a Zipp 999 wheelset.. I
thought that it would be worth minutes over a 10 mile course, but found
it was only worth a handful of seconds at best. I found that hard winter
training was worth more than a really expensive bike and wheels. Still,
I did come 5th in my age category in 2008 and won £50.

To put this into perspective - my road bike is a £350 B'Twin Triban
500SE and this TT bike cost me about 700 quid.

It feels significantly faster for the same effort, but I'm struggling to
feel confident to spend long periods on the aero bars, especially as
speeds increase.
--
Steve H

On club TT's we had lots of marshals about that meant that we could focus on riding and not the traffic, although I did have a couple of crashes on wet tarmac that spooked me a little for a few minutes. My road bike is a Scott CR1 and I sold my TT bike in 2011.